2 Reasons Why You Should Not Rely On DIY Mold Removal Methods After Your Home Sustains Water Damage

Posted on: 28 June 2021

Whether one of your home's pipes burst or the basement was flooded during the last heavy rainstorm, your house may have sustained some serious water damage. As a side effect of this damage, mold can and will start to grow fairly quickly, especially in the dark areas of your house.

To help keep the growth at bay, you may be thinking about trying an over-the-counter product or homemade solution to kill it. However, there are a couple of reasons why you should not rely on do-it-yourself (DIY) mold removal methods.

1.  You Most Likely Will Not Be Able to Find/Get Rid of Mold in Your House

One major issue with trying to get rid of extensive mold growth in your home after the structure has sustained water damage is that you will most likely not be able to find or get rid of all of the growth areas. While you may be able to kill the surface mold, spores are released within hours of the first visible growth.

Once these spores are released, they will spread throughout your house. If they settle in a moist, dark area, they will start to grow quickly, making it hard to keep up with it on your own. A professional will have the tools and experience to find these hidden areas.

2.  You May Not Have the Right Solution for the Particular Mold Species

Another reason why DIY mold removal methods may not work is that the store-bought or homemade solution you select may not be appropriate for the type of mold in your home. Unfortunately, there are quite a number of mold species, and any of them could be growing in your house.

If you select the wrong solution, you may be able to kill some of the growth or set it back a little bit. But, you may never be able to kill it all. A professional service can test the spores to find the exact species so that the proper removal method may be used.

After your home has sustained water damage, it may be tempting to try using DIY methods to get rid of the mold. However, you most likely will not be able to get rid of it all or even be treating for the correct species without professional help. Instead of attempting to do the job by yourself with over-the-counter or homemade solutions, contact a damage contractor near you who offers mold removal services to have them determine the extent of the growth in your house and develop a plan of action.